Saturday, February 23, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Cupcakes with a Vanilla Buttercream

So as you can tell from these pictures, I'm a little late posting about this birthday party we had back in August!  Whoops!  Time has definitely gotten the best of me, but I have been wanting to share this delicious cupcake recipe with you all for quite sometime. 
 
So Lily and her cousin just happen to share the same birthday so my sister in law and I wanted to throw a fun birthday party that the theme could be both girly and boyish at the same time.  So since their birthdays are in August and the weather is still HOT I thought a fun nautical party would fit the bill.  We decorated using pinks, turqoise's, and reds fitting both the girl and boy theme.  The day was so much fun that I forgot to take more photos of the decorations but we just hung a bunch of lanterns from the trees and called it good.
 
The cupcakes were definitely the hit of the party.  I got this recipe from my little sister and I think I had 5 different people ask me for the recipe.  They were so good!  We frosted them with a delicious vanilla buttercream and topped them with fondant anchors and stars.  If your looking to throw a party for both a girl and a boy I highly suggest the Nautical theme. 
 
 
 
Vanilla Cupcakes:
1 cup cake flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I prefer whole)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
 
Preheat the oven to *350.  Mix together all the dry ingredients in mixer for 2-3 minutes.  Add the butter and mix till dough forms small crumb like peices.  Add the eggs one at a time making sure they are completely mixed in before you add the next egg.  Slowly add in the milk and vanilla.  Fill liners 2/3 of the way full.  Bake for 17-20 minutes (checking at 17 min. with a toothpick for doneness)
Cool completely before frosting. 
 
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
1-1/2 stick unsalted butter (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
 
Mix all ingredients until smooth.  Frost cupcakes and enjoy. 
 
 


 (we also served these oreo cookies and s'more pops)
 

I think its safe to say the birthday kiddos loved the cupcakes :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...